Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Evening News

My dad was in a hurry to get home and watch the evening news (they air at 8:30 in Brazil, not 6:30 p..m.) so... unfortunately he was speeding. And, the man obviously wasn't wearing a helmet since hardly anybody does when riding bicycles in Brazil (only for motorcycles). It's just so sad and unfortunate! I have to admit that my dad does speed on occasion even though he is a careful driver. When he saw the cyclists it was already too late, he was too close to them and going too fast.

The police and an ambulance came and my parents took the man's nephew (who was riding with his uncle and whose bicycle was damaged, but who didn't get hurt because he threw himself on the grass by the road), his wife, and daughter to the hospital. The nephew was extremely hostile, blaming my dad and the daughter was angry too. Yesterday both were calmer. My parents are taking them to and from the hospital because otherwise they wouldn't be able to get there. The police won't do anything (I think it'll be reported and go on my dad's record so his insurance will go up or something) and my dad will be in trouble only if an individual attorney approaches the family seeing his chance to make money on them. So my dad is helping the family in every way because it'll be better to help them than spend money that will go to lawyers and may not really help them because the process will drag on and on. He's already planning what to do if the worst happens, like buying the wife and children a lot and helping them build a small house there.

Please keep Gilberto (the man's name), his family, and my parents in your prayers and thoughts.

2 comments:

Prisca said...

You all remain in my prayers. What a horrible time for all of them. I imagine it is insanely hard to be so far away from all of this.

Hugs and good wishes to you, Lilian, as you wait for more news.

Aliki2006 said...

Oh Lilian! I'm just catching up and I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. I will keep the poor man in my thoughts, and also your father. I can't imagine what he's going through.